Council tax reduction - rights of appeal
Is your Council Tax Reduction correct?
The local Council Tax Reduction Scheme is there to help you pay your Council Tax. We want to be sure that you are getting your full amount of Council Tax Reduction. You may have extra information that we did not take into account when we worked out your entitlement. We may have made a mistake. We want to know and make sure your account is correct.
How we work out Council Tax Reduction
You can ask us how we calculated your entitlement. Even if you do not qualify, you can ask for a detailed explanation of why not.
Do you disagree with our Council Tax Reduction decision?
- Do you disagree with the information we have used?
- Do you think that we were wrong to say that you did not qualify?
- Do you disagree with the amount of non-dependant deductions?
- Do you think we should backdate your application? That is, should we apply a reduction from an earlier date?
You should write and ask us to look again at our decision. Explain your reasons as full as possible. Please do this as soon as possible. We can check the decision and then write to you again.
Appeal against our Council Tax Reduction decision
Please make your appeal in writing. You must state the reasons why you disagree with the decision. Please provide as much information as you can. Please include any supporting documents. Send your appeal as soon as possible so that we can review your entitlement. We will consider the appeal. We will write to you within two months to notify you of the outcome. If you do not agree, or if we do not write to you within two months, you may appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.
The Valuation Tribunal address is:
Valuation Tribunal Service
3rd Floor, Crossgate House
Doncaster DN1 3LL
Our independent Appeals Officer deals with most appeals. An external tribunal will review your case if there is no agreement. If you need to attend a tribunal, the Valuation Tribunal will contact you. The officer will tell you the date, time and place of the hearing.
Challenge our Council Tax Reduction decision
If you think we got it wrong, you can argue our decision. The appeal process will not cost you anything.
All councils are responsible for administering a local Council Tax Reduction Scheme. Each scheme is different. If you get a different amount to your last address, it does not mean the calculation is wrong.
What you can do about our Council Tax Reduction decision
- Ask for information on how we made the decision.
- If you are unhappy with our decision, you have the right of appeal.
- If we cannot amend the decision, you have the right to an independent tribunal.
- You need to write to us as soon as possible so that we can start the process of checking your entitlement.
- You can make an appeal.
Independent advice on Council Tax
Citizens' Advice Carlisle and Eden offer money, debt, budgeting and benefit advice.