Appeal against your council tax banding

Challenge your Council Tax banding

You might be able to challenge your Council Tax band if you have evidence that suggests the band is wrong. You must continue paying your Council Tax while the challenge is happening.

Challenge your Council Tax band on GOV.UK gives advice on how to challenge your band.

Making an appeal against a Council Tax banding

In certain circumstances, we will allow an appeal.

Appeal a Council Tax bill or fine on GOV.UK gives advice on how to appeal your bill, what to do if you disagree with the council’s decision and valuation tribunal.

Make your appeal to:

Making an appeal against liability for Council Tax

You may also appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay Council Tax, for example, because you are not the resident or owner, or because your property is exempt, or if we have made a mistake calculating your bill. If you wish to appeal on these grounds, you must first notify us in writing so that we can reconsider the case.

You must still pay your Council Tax even though you are making an appeal,

Pay your Council Tax online.

If your appeal is successful, you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Council Tax. If you make an appeal and you are still not satisfied that a proper decision has been reached (or you are not notified of a decision within two months of making your appeal), you can then appeal to a Valuation Tribunal.

Contact details:

Positive Feedback Okay Feedback Negative Feedback
Web page feedback