Set up a direct debit or standing order
Setting up a direct debit online
To set up an online Direct Debit you need:
- Council Tax reference number (8 digits long).
- Name(s) of the bank account holder(s).
- Bank account number.
- Bank sort code.
Set up direct debit payments for your Council tax bill online.
Once you have confirmed the Direct Debit, you will receive written confirmation of the setting up of the Direct Debit, this will include the dates and amounts of the payments collected from your bank account.
Applying for a direct debit
The direct debit guarantee
- All banks and building societies that take part in the Direct Debit Scheme offer this guarantee. Your bank or building society check the efficiency and security of the scheme.
- If the payment amounts change, or the payment dates change, we will notify you 10 working days in advance of the debit from your account, or as otherwise agreed.
- If we, or your bank or building society makes an error, you will receive a full and immediate refund from your branch.
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your bank or building society. Please also send a copy of your letter to us.
Standing order form
If you do not use Internet or Telephone banking, you can complete a form to take to your bank. You will need the same information as for setting up a Direct Debit online.