Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit? 

Universal Credit is part of the Government's Welfare Reform policy. It replaces six benefits with a single monthly payment. The benefits that Universal Credit replace are: 

See 'Universal Credit' on GOV.UK to find out more

Who can claim Universal Credit? 

From 25 July 2018, we transferred to the full Universal Credit Service. We can no longer accept claims for Housing Benefit from working age claimants unless they are: 

  • responsible for 3 or more children; or
  • live in certain types of specified/supported accommodation; or
  • live in temporary accommodation. 

If you need help to pay your housing costs, you must make a claim for Universal Credit online at

Freephone 0800 328 5644 if you have any questions about claiming Universal Credit, please contact the Universal Credit helpline. 

Customers already in receipt of Universal Credit before 25 July 2018, who have any questions about their claim, should ring the Universal Credit helpline on Freephone 0800 328 9344

You will still need to apply for Council Tax Reduction by completing the Council Tax Reduction (Universal Credit) form (PDF: 197Kb / 8 pages).

How to Claim Universal Credit 

Apply for Universal Credit on GOV.UK.

Payment of Universal Credit 

See 'Universal Credit' on GOV.UK for payment details. Anyone claiming Universal Credit receives one monthly payment in arrears. Payment is direct into a bank account. 

The claimant receives payment of any housing costs claimed as part of Universal Credits as part of their monthly payment. The claimant is responsible for paying their landlord direct. 

See 'Universal Credit and landlords' on GOV.UK for guides which explain what Universal Credit means for landlords. 

Council Tax Reduction Scheme 

Complete a 'Council Tax Reduction Scheme (Universal Credit) Claim Form' (PDF: 197Kb / 8 pages) if you are in receipt of Universal Credit and need help with paying Council Tax. 

The Department for Work and Pensions provide us with the information they have gathered from the claim for Universal Claim. 

How we will support you 

The Government recognises that there are customers who need help to claim Universal Credit and report change of circumstances online. The DWP will work with us and their partners to provide the support to manage this process by: 

Support with online access 

If you have difficulty accessing a computer, or need support to complete the online form, you can contact the Benefits Team by: 

    1. Email:
    2. Telephone: 01768 810066
    3. Address: Town Hall, Corney Square, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7QF 

Personal budgeting support 

There are two elements to budgeting support: 

    • Money advice:
      • To help claimants cope with managing their money on a monthly basis and paying their bills on time;
      • Online, by telephone, or face-to-face;
      • Delivered by external organisations with the relevant expertise to do this.
    • Alternative payment arrangements
      • For those claimants who cannot manage the single monthly payment and there is a risk of financial harm to the claimant and/or their family. 

Help to make an online application 

Contact the Benefits Team if you have difficulty accessing a computer, or need support to complete the Universal Credit online form. 

Public access computers are available at: 

Positive Feedback Okay Feedback Negative Feedback
Web page feedback