Alston conservation area
Designation of Alston conservation area
The central part of Alston town was designated as a conservation area on 27 May 1976.
Description of Alston
Alston lies in the heart of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, set on the upper reaches of the South River Tyne. It is reputed to be Britain's highest market town at over 1,000ft above sea level. It has a cobbled main street and most of the buildings around the Market Square date from the late 17th and early 18th centuries. There are several listed buildings in the town centre including the parish church of St Augustine's. The church was built in 1869, but records show a church has existed here since 1145 AD. Alston Station is the starting point for the South Tynedale Railway, which is England’s highest narrow gauge railway.
Article 4 Direction
We introduced two Article 4 Directions in the Alston Conservation Area in 1996 and 2010.
Alston conservation area plan