Street naming and numbering

We have a legal obligation to allocate house numbers/names and name roads to new properties, developments and property conversions. We have powers to re-name and re-number properties and streets where necessary. We exercise these powers under the provisions of Section 64 of the Town Improvements Clauses Act 1847, with the Extension of the Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907 and sections 17, 18 and 19 of the Public Health Act 1925.

We keep and maintain a definitive record of all the property addresses and street names in Eden district in our 'Local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG)' and pass this to the National Address Gazetteer (NAG). The following use this:

  • Us
  • The Royal Mail
  • All statutory undertakers
  • Emergency services
  • Land Registry
  • Ordnance Survey
  • Valuation Office
  • Credit agencies
  • Satellite navigation system suppliers
  • Many private companies

Find your postcode on the Royal Mail website.

If you are unable to find your property address following the above link, it may be that the property is not officially registered, or registration is with a different address. If this is the case, please contact us at the address below where we will look into the issue.

Individuals and developers should not allocate their own house numbers, building, or street names. These will not be officially registered or recognised. You may need to change your informal addressing when we formally address the property/properties. This will cause you unnecessary frustration and possibly expense which we will not meet.

Why street naming and numbering is important

It is imperative that the Police, emergency services and the public are able to locate properties quickly and efficiently. If a property is not 'registered' through the street naming and numbering process, the address will not appear on the national address database (NLPG/NAG), or the Royal Mail Postcode Address File (PAF). The owner/occupier may encounter difficulties in obtaining mail, deliveries and services from a variety of sources, for example:

  • Locating the property by the emergency services
  • Applying for a credit card
  • Obtaining goods on the internet
  • Selling a property

You cannot apply for service connections by Utilities Companies to a new property, or conversion, until you receive statutory notification of the address from the Street Naming and Numbering department. We allocate all new addresses in line with our Street Naming and Numbering Policy and British Standard 7666.

Who should apply?

  • Individuals or developers building new houses, apartments, commercial, or industrial premises
  • Individuals or developers undertaking conversions of residential, commercial, or industrial premises, which will result in the creation of new properties or premises
  • Any person who wishes to change their existing address

When should you apply?

For any new build or conversion of a property, you should apply to us for address allocation once you receive planning approval, or before you intend to start work. We will contact Royal Mail. They will allocate the postcode to the approved address. Utility companies are reluctant to install services without an official address and postcode and need proof from this department. If your request involves the naming of new streets, please allow enough time to process your application. This is due to the consultation process with local Parish Councils. Please refer to our street naming and numbering policy below. This sets out the process.

Street naming and numbering policy

Read the guidance and policy on addressing properties street naming and numbering in Eden (PDF: 384 Kb / 25 pages), for advice on street naming and numbering and choosing a street or property name, or property name change.

Apply for a new build or property conversion address

Download and complete the street name and number form (PDF: 122 Kb / 4 pages) and return it to the address at the end of the form, or telephone 01768 817817, and we will post the form to you. You can visit Mansion House, or the Town Hall, Penrith to pick up an application form.

There is no charge for the addressing of new streets, new properties, or conversions of properties that do not have an address.

Apply for an address for an existing merged/divided property

Download and complete the property merge form (PDF: 66Kb / 4 pages), and return it, with the correct fee, to the address at the end of the form.

Download and complete the property division form (PDF: 66Kb / 4 pages) and return it, with the correct fee, to the address at the end of the form.

Alternatively, telephone 01768 817817, and we will post the form to you. You can visit Mansion House, or the Town Hall, Penrith to pick up an application form.

Apply to change a property name

You may change the registered name of a property as long as it does not conflict with an existing property or street name in the area or post town. Refer to the Guidance and Policy for advice.

Download and complete the change a property name form (PDF: 125 Kb / 2 pages) and return it, with the correct fee, to the address at the end of the form.

If your property has a number, you cannot remove the number. The number must remain and you must display it at the property.

Once we approve an application to change a property name, it is the responsibility of the property owner to inform his or her own personal contacts of any official change or addition to an address. It may take some time for statutory services to amend their records.

Apply to add a name onto a numbered property

We no longer offers this service.

The number of a property is the official address of the property. Any name you use is not part of the official property address and we will not hold it in our address database, or in the National Address Gazetteer. If you use a name for your property, you must continue to display the property number at the property and use only the number in any correspondence, or when you contact us. If you use a name with a numbered property, we cannot identify your property and you may not receive the services you should receive.

What happens if a street needs renaming or renumbering?

On rare occasions it becomes necessary to re-name or re-number a street. This is usually only done as a last resort when:

  • There is confusion over a street name and/or numbering.
  • A group of residents are unhappy with their street name.
  • After building new properties in a street, there is a need for other properties to be re-numbered to accommodate the new properties.
  • The number of named-only properties in a street is causing confusion for visitors and the delivery of emergency services.

Street naming and numbering fees:

New properties

Street naming and numbering fees for new properties from 1 April 2020
Naming Cost
New individual property No Charge
New street No Charge
Alterations in either street name, property numbers or plot to postal numbers to new developments after initial street naming and numbering has been undertaken and confirmed to the developer £145 + £19 per property
Confirmation of postal address £36

Existing properties:

Street naming and numbering fees for existing properties from 1 April 2020
Change Cost
Change of house name £52
Change of building name (for example, a block of flats) £52 + £19 per unit
Change of street name (residents' request) £253 + £47 per property
Street Numbering (residents' request - where no numbering system exists) £253 + £47 per property
Sub-division of existing property into multiple properties or merge of existing properties into a single property £52 + £19 per unit
Removal of address following planning permission for demolition of the property (where no replacement property is being built or where the customer requires a new name for the new replacement property) £52 + £19

Street nameplates

Read the guidance on street nameplates.

Geoplaceplace exemplar awards. 2018 Best in North West for Address Data. 2019 Winner Gold Performance Award for Address Data. Eden District Council

Positive Feedback Okay Feedback Negative Feedback
Web page feedback