Get ready for brexitEuropean Union (EU) leaders have granted the UK a three month extension to Brexit (leaving the EU). The new deadline is now 31 January 2020.

After the United Kingdom European Union Membership Referendum in June 2016, the UK Government triggered Article 50, which began the process of the UK leaving the EU. Under the terms of Article 50 as amended, we are due to leave the EU on 31 January 2020. However, negotiations between the UK Government and the EU are on-going over a ‘transition period’, until 31 December 2020, which would allow for a negotiation of the future relationship between the UK and the EU after Brexit. Should these negotiations fail, with no extension or cancellation of Article 50, then the UK will leave the EU without a deal, or a transition period.

Preparing for leaving the European Union

Leaving the EU will have implications for Eden, its partners and the district as a whole.

See the Brexit and local government on the Local Government Association website for useful guidance on a range of Brexit topics from the Local Government Association, which represents councils across England and Wales, including no deal planning, how businesses can prepare for leaving the EU and EU citizen rights.

See local government Brexit preparedness on GOV.UK for more information on how the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government is supporting local authorities in the preparations for leaving the EU.

See prepare your farming business for a no-deal Brexit on GOV.UK for more information from the Department for Environment and Rural Affairs on how leaving the EU will affect the farming sector in the event of a no deal.

EU citizens living in the UK

The Council wants to make sure that EU citizens living and working in Eden know about their rights. If you’re an EU citizen living in the UK, you and your family will be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status.

Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (settled and pre-settled status) on GOV.UK. If you’re an EU citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

Applications can be made now, although the scheme won't be fully open until the date that UK leaves the EU. The Government has announced that there will be no application fee after the UK departs the EU. However, applications received before this date will be charged a fee, though this will be refunded. EU citizens settled in the UK will have until June 2021 to apply for settled status.

In the event of a no deal, the EU Settlement Scheme will still be rolled out as planned. However, the deadline for applications will be the 31 December 2020, which is six months earlier than if there were a Brexit deal agreed with the EU.

In the event of no deal, anyone visiting the UK from the EU for less than three months after Brexit would not need to apply for a visa. Anyone arriving from the EU that wanted to stay longer than three months would need to apply for a visa. If successful, the visa would last for up to three years.

See continue to live in the UK after it leaves EU on GOV.UK and complete the easy to use form to find out about continuing to live in the UK after it leaves the EU.

Impact on local businesses

We will work with various Chambers of Trade to make sure local businesses are prepared for the impact of leaving the EU. However, there are still many uncertainties about what the business and trade arrangements will be after Brexit and the implications for Eden District.

Government departments have information about the potential impact on businesses, what support is out there and proposals for how Brexit should be approached from a business perspective.

See get ready for Brexit on GOV.UK for information about how leaving the EU may affect your business or organisation and what you need to do to get ready.

See EU Settlement Scheme: employer toolkit on GOV.UK for information for employers to support EU citizens and their families to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Other issues

See prepare for Brexit if you live in the UK on GOV.UK for useful advice about visiting, studying and working in Europe, environmental standards, food labelling standards and studying abroad.

Many people have made, or are making travel plans for 2019, and have questions about what might happen after the UK leaves the EU.

See Brexit advice for travellers on the ABTA website for information on how Brexit will affect travel through the EU and what documents you may need.

Positive Feedback Okay Feedback Negative Feedback
Web page feedback