By-election for Penrith North seat after Councillor resignation
Following the resignation of Robin Howse (Liberal Democrat) on Friday 29 September 2017 as an Eden District Councillor for health reasons, a Notice of Vacancy for a Penrith North Ward seat has been published and Eden District Council will now begin seeking nominations from people to stand as candidates to contest a by-election in the coming weeks.
The District Council is currently canvassing properties for the new electoral register. Electors in the Penrith North Ward have until the 31 October 2017 to ensure they are registered to be able to vote in this by-election.
Matthew Neal, Eden District Council’s Deputy Chief Executive and Monitoring Officer, said: “I would like to take this opportunity to thank Robin Howse for his tenure as a Councillor and wish him and his family all the best for the future. Robin Howse was first elected as the representative for the Penrith North Ward in 2011 and was the former Leader of the Liberal Democrat Group. Robin served on various committees including Licensing, Planning, Scrutiny and the Human Resources and Appeals Committee.
“I would encourage anyone interested in standing as District Councillor for Penrith North to contact our Election Team for more information about what the role involves.”
- Notice of Election to be published on Thursday 5 October 2017 – nominations can be returned from Friday 6 October 2017
- Deadline for nomination papers 4pm on the 20 October 2017
- Deadline for statement of persons nominated 4pm on the 23 October 2017
- Deadline for applications to be included on the register 31 October 2017
- Deadline for new and changes to postal votes 5pm on the first 1 November 2017
- Deadline for new proxy votes by 5pm on the 8 November 2017
- Polling day 16 November 2017
Read the Notice of Vacancy for the Penrith North Ward, or call the Council’s Elections Team on 01768 817817.